Company: NRG Energy
Posted on: March 17, 2023
As an NRG employee, we encourage you to think creatively and
proactively about your career choices. Our work environment is
dynamic and the career opportunities across our businesses offer
variety and challenge. Providing career growth to our own employees
is critical to our ongoing success--take charge of your career
goals and empower your future!Essential
Duties/Responsibilities:Includes, but are not limited to the
- Leads Operations in the safe, reliable, and efficient operation
of the power plant while also ensuring compliance with
environmental and regulatory law, regulation, standards of
performance, and the NRG Conduct of Operations.
- Able to fulfill the responsibilities of the Plant Manager
position in their absence.
- Promotes productivity and teamwork in Operations with open
communication, timely decision making, and use of personal
leadership skills to set high standards of performance (precision
operations) while providing the direction necessary to achieve that
- Promotes and supports the development of technical, leadership,
and business skills of employees to enhance capabilities and
- Provides regular feedback to employees on their performance to
allow them to capitalize on their strengths and focus on
opportunities for improvement.
- Demonstrates behavior that encourages and recognizes employee
involvement, innovative thinking, adaptation, responsible risk
taking, customer focus, and continuous improvement.
- Ensures development and implementation of assigned area goals,
objectives, and initiatives.
- Supports and emphasizes importance of safety and environmental
programs and ensures regulatory compliance.
- Reviews performance with customers/clients and addresses
opportunities for improvement.
- Ensures all resources are utilized in a cost-effective manner
(especially major costs such as auxiliary power, fuel, and operator
time and overtime), estimates resource requirements, monitors
expenditures, and reports on assigned area.
- Assigns work and holds employees accountable for their
- Performs field inspections of job sites and work in
- Recognizes problems and is proactive in resolving
- Ensures development, implementation, and monitoring of work
plans and schedules in their area of responsibility.
- Ensures work performed by external service providers is in
support of objectives, responsibilities, and contractual
- Maintains a working relationship with employees consistent with
personnel policies and procedures.
- Provides overall direction and coordination of plant operations
and maintenance activities
- Coordinates and communicates with the Asset Desk, real time
dispatching, maintenance, contractors, and other
- Coordinates emergency response efforts (i.e., hurricane
preparedness and staffing, freeze protection, integrated
contingency plan, etc.)
- Sets maintenance priorities and schedules maintenance for the
- Provides visible and active support for the plant reliability
- Responsible for laying up the units properly during extended
periods of reserve shutdown and inspection outages.
- Ensures the Operations organization understands and supports
the steam purity program.
- Maintains current written procedures to improve plant
performance and ensure consistent operations between crews.
- Provides leadership in the lock out/tag out program to promote
safe operations and maintenance.
- Develops appropriate shifts, schedules, staffing, and response
programs to control costs and enhance response time and
- Coordinates application of internal and external resources to
area of responsibility to support maintenance activities, projects,
- Develops and executes training programs to promote continuous
improvement in operator skills and performance.Working Conditions:
- Normal office environment and/or power plant environment
- Requires operation of a motor vehicle and a valid driver's
- Work overtime and non-standard working hours as required
- Requires occasional travel outside service area
- Occasionally requires wearing personal protective safety
equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves,
appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.)
- May be required to work around rotating and energized
equipment, hazardous materials, and chemicals
- Requires operation of a personal computerMinimum Requirements:
- High school diploma and a minimum of 10 years of power plant
experience, five of which in plant operations or
- Baccalaureate degree in an Engineering or related discipline
from an accredited college or university, and 7 years of equivalent
experience in a related field
- Experience supervising power plant operations employees
- Possession of a valid driver's licensePreferred Qualifications:
- Experience in the operation or maintenance of combustion
turbine combined-cycle power plants
- Understanding and experience with NERC ProgramsAdditional
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Has a general understanding of the processes, systems, assets,
resources, key personnel, and business functions of NRG Energy or
similar industrial facility.
- Knowledge of combined-cycle power plant systems and operations,
and comprehensive knowledge in the position's area of
- Demonstrated effective leadership and personnel management
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a team
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) at all
levels of NRG.
- Ability to establish and maintain a positive and professional
working relationship with all individuals
- Ability to use a personal computer and standard business
- Ability to read, create and follow written policies and
- Ability to read, write and understand English
- Ability to understand and use work management systems
- Knowledge of applicable safety and environmental
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting,
climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to
access, inspect, or collect data on plant equipment
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropirate to perform duties
and responsibilitiesNRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol
free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable
collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic
random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion
drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Level, Title
and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience
or skills. Official description on file with Talent.
Keywords: NRG Energy, Longview , Operations Manager, Executive , Marshall, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...