Psychiatric Registered Nurse - RN Home Health - Psychiatric
Company: Amedisys Inc
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Psychiatric Registered Nurse - RN Home HealthWhat You Will
Responsible for furnishing comprehensive, skilled, medical, and
behavioral health/psychiatric nursing services to all patients in
their place of residence.
* Assesses the medical, cognitive, emotional, psychosocial, safety,
developmental status, and behavioral health/psychiatric nursing
needs of the patient during the initial nursing evaluation.
* Supervises case load including LPNs and Home Health Aides
assigned to the patient managed by the RN Case Manager. Facilitates
care coordination with PRN staff when care is provided for
* Helps to achieve and maintain continuity of patient care by
communicating information timely, effectively and systematically
with all patient care team members. Facilitates interdisciplinary
communication and follow-up through care coordination on assigned
caseload for duration that patients are on service.
* Assesses the appropriateness of care and criteria for acceptance
to medical as well as behavioral health/psychiatric home health
* Reports the status of all new patients to the Clinical Manager
and the patient's physician and/or psychiatrist.
* Evaluates the patient's management and compliance with the
medical and psychiatric plan of care.
* Maintains awareness for indicators in patient's behavior that
call for change in the treatment modality (crisis, suicidal
ideation) as well as other medical signs and symptoms.
* Observes and evaluates the physical and mental status of the
patient for complications and medication side effects and
implements appropriate interventions while working closely with the
physician and/or psychiatrist.
* Implements nursing actions that will promote, maintain, or
restore physical and mental health, prevent illnesses, and effect
* Instructs patient/caregiver in cognitive and technical aspects of
care, medication regimes, disease processes, safety interventions,
ADL care, coping skills, symptom management, and other
* Administers IM medications, performs lab draws and specimen
collections, and educates patient and caregiver in appropriate
* Documents visit, including instructions and interventions, in an
accurate and timely manner while complying with the home health
care agency's policies and procedures.
* Documents all telephone calls and physician contact for inclusion
in the patient's chart.
* Respects patient's and family's rights as defined by the Federal
and State laws and Patient Bill of Rights. Respects patient's right
to confidentiality and patient's property.
* Establishes emergency procedures, instructs patient/caregiver
when to call nurse, MD and 911. Maintains patient safety while a
crisis occurs, calling police/911, MD, and nursing supervisor on
call, and then documenting in clinical record, and filling out
completing an incident report after crisis.
* Communicates closely with MD, interdisciplinary team, agencies
and institutions for continuity of care regarding patient's
progress. Acts as a case manager in coordinating care for all
medical patients and behavioral health/psychiatric patients as
* Uses universal precautions while administering care to patients
and is knowledgeable of policies, procedures, and protocol
regarding infection control.
* Supervises home health aides every two (2) weeks and reviews
patient care plan as needed.
* Reviews treatment planning under the direction of a physician or
psychiatrist every 30 days with updates every 60 days, or before or
as patient status changes require. Nursing action, interventions,
and goals are stated for each individual patient. Discharge
summaries are completed after patient's discharge from home care
* Supports health care professionals within the care center for
other patients with psychosocial issues, assisting in developing a
treatment plan of care.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
* Current, unencumbered license to practice as a Registered Nurse
specific to that state the employee is assigned to work by the
company. May possess either a single state license in each
non-compact state and/or a compact license in their state of
residence that is accepted in all Nurse License Compact (NLC)
* Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) documents the following: The mutual
recognition model of nurse licensure allows a nurse to have one
license (in his or her state of residency) and to practice in other
states (both physical and electronic), subject to each state's
practice law and regulation. Nurses must legally reside in a NLC
state to be eligible to have a multi-state license.
* A registered nurse must meet one of the following to meet CMS
requirements for psychiatric nursing in the home care setting:
* An RN with a Master's degree with a specialty in psychiatric or
mental health nursing and licensed in the state where practicing.
The RN must have nursing experience (recommended within the last
three years) in an acute treatment unit in a psychiatric hospital,
psychiatric home care, psychiatric partial hospitalization program
or other outpatient psychiatric services.
* An RN with a Bachelor's degree in nursing and licensed in the
state where practicing. The RN must have one year of recent nursing
experience (recommended within the last three years) in an acute
treatment unit in a psychiatric hospital, psychiatric home care,
psychiatric partial hospitalization program or other outpatient
* An RN with a Diploma or Associate degree in nursing and licensed
in the state where practicing. The RN must have two years of recent
nursing experience (recommended within the last three years) in an
acute treatment unit in a psychiatric hospital, psychiatric home
care, psychiatric partial hospitalization program or other
outpatient psychiatric services.
* Must have good verbal and written communication skills and
evaluation techniques and demonstrate knowledge of clinical skills,
judgment, current nursing practices and analytical
* Current CPR certification.
* Must be familiar with Medicare, Medicaid, and other third-party
* Must have a current driver's license, agency-required automobile
liability insurance, and availability of personal, dependable
transportation to conduct home visits.
* Able to assess patient status and identify requirements relative
to age specific needs.
* Must be familiar with general use and functions of the computer,
such as, user names and password concepts; internet; e-mail;
navigation of computer desktop, including starting programs, using
files, and windows, effectively use navigation buttons and tool
bars; ability to self-manage online HR services and online training
Amedisys is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified employees
and applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, pregnancy, marital
status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, military
status, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition or carrier
status or any other legally protected characteristic.
Keywords: Amedisys Inc, Longview , Psychiatric Registered Nurse - RN Home Health - Psychiatric, Healthcare , Texarkana, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!